Monday, June 27, 2011

Observations of a Proud New Mommy


I spend a lot of one-on-one time with Reagan. Over 8 hours a day just nursing. And there are a few things I have noticed since she was born:

*She has such a strong neck! She could lift her head up immediately after birth, so I haven't really had to worry about her head flopping around. However, she hates tummy time, even though she can kind of scoot herself forward and turn halfway over.

*She LOVES her little mittens that she wears all the time to keep her from scratching herself. In fact, often she prefers to nurse on them rather than me.

*She makes the cutest faces ever when she nurses. She looks like a ferocious tiger going in for the kill, and then she acts surprised every time when milk comes out.

*She gets the hiccups multiple times a day.

*She can't keep her mouth closed and is always drooling milk, but she has never spit up.

*She has Lance's nose and my eyes apparently. (I think she just looks like a baby. A cute baby.)

*She falls asleep on my shoulder after nursing/burping and nuzzles my neck and I think it might be my favorite thing in the whole world.

*She is an awesome sleeper!!!! After the first two nights at home, which were terrible, we figured out a rhythm and now she sleeps in 3 hour intervals with feedings in between. Which is great news for us because it means we get at least 6-8 hours of sleep at night.

*Even though sleeps great, she is a very inefficient nurser. Each feeding takes at least an hour, and the second half is a constant battle to keep her awake and interested until I am sure she's really full.

*She went to the doctor today just to get weighed, etc., and she passed with flying colors! At only 6 days old, she is already back up to her birth weight! I was so proud! Even though I've been keeping track of her nursings and dirty diapers and they were right on target, I was still worried that she wasn't eating enough. But no worries. She is an ideal baby and practically perfect in every way!
What a little angel.

2 comments:

  1. That's so great that she is sleeping so well. Congrats! ;) Can't wait to see you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok that last pic of her. to die for. what a little miracle!!!

    ReplyDelete