Sweet Little Miss Maddie is here! She made her entrance into the world at 6:08 pm on her due date-Tuesday, April 12th. She weighed in at 7 lbs 3 oz and was 20.5 inches long. What an angel face!
Although I had a very easy delivery, she certainly dragged things out in the beginning. Sunday morning I was certain I was in labor. Painful contractions every 10-20 minutes. Lance came home from his early meetings and Joy came from Park City and we had everything ready to go when they slowed down significantly. So we got the girls ready for church and Joy took them and Lance and I walked and walked around the neighborhood to see if we could get things going again.
No such luck. So Joy went back to Park City and I stayed pregnant, but all Sunday evening and night and Monday I kept having contractions, about 1 every hour and fairly painful. It was kind of obnoxious but I didn't think it was going anywhere. I made it to my 40 week appointment Tuesday morning and when he checked me my doctor said I was dilated to 5 and asked me if I wanted to head over to Labor and Delivery right then and he would break my water after I had been on antibiotics for a few hours (apparently I was Group B Strep positive). I decided I better run home first and take care of a few things. Lance was still at home because he was watching the girls during my appointment, so I told him the good news- it was finally baby time!
One last picture before we left the house!
We checked into the hospital at noon and they started the antibiotics at 1, which was actually the worst part because they blew out my vein twice trying to get the IV in. Ouch.
At this point I was having contractions every 15-20 minutes but they weren't increasing in frequency. I got my epidural shortly afterwards and everything was so calm and peaceful. They wanted to have me on the antibiotics for at least 4 hours before I delivered so we were just waiting. Lance and I watched some Downton Abbey. We had a beautiful view from our room and it was the most gorgeous spring day- perfect for welcoming a new baby!
At 5:15 they checked my and I was 6 cm. My doctor showed up to break my water and things went very quickly. I immediately went from a 6 to an 8 and then an 8 to a 10 in about 20 minutes. Even with my epidural, the contractions were sooo painful. I must have bruised Lance's hand from squeezing it! By the time I was completely dilated, the pain medication had caught up with me and I wasn't terrified of pushing anymore (like I had been a couple minutes before). The doctor said it was time to before- almost before I was even ready! It kind of caught me off guard, but I started pushing and they started counting. I made it through one contraction and during the next the doctor said "Ok one more!" I was thinking "what?!!" and Lance said "There's her head!" and one more push and out she came! She was face up (like our other girls) but turned as she came out. Lance cut the cord and I got to hold her immediately. Such a rush of emotions! There is absolutely nothing that can compare to holding a brand new baby that you've waited 9 months to meet.
Seeing how big. 7 pounds 3 ounces. I was shocked that she was smaller than Reagan (by 1 oz). I thought she would be closer to 8 pounds honestly.
A daddy with his daughter is the sweetest thing in the world.
She got her first bath when she was a few hours old.
She loved the head scrubbing.
First clothes! Little premie nightgown.
Sweet chubby face!
It was such an easy delivery and Maddie was sweet enough to not cause much damage to me. I was feeling pretty good when the epidural wore off so we had Joy bring the girls to come visit a couple hours after Madelyn was born. They were so excited and sweet!
Although at times Daryn was a little unsure.
We just adore her.
After they left, we settled in to make it through the first night. Also this happened, Maddie spent most of her time snuggling in bed with me and nursing.
That girl has loved her food right from the very beginning.
Cute little premie onesie. I figured if she didn't wear it in the hospital, she never would. Love the mitten hands!
The girls came back to visit the next day.
My favorite girls in the whole world! I can't believe how lucky I am.
Reagan loved the beautiful flowers and the puppy from my family and Daryn loved the tiny balloon that came with them.
And Aunt Meagan came to visit later that day. Best aunt ever!!
Later that afternoon we walked down the hallway to visit the Calls, who had a baby the day before us! Twinsies, except for the fact that Joey outweighed Maddie by a good 5 pounds.
We got to go home that evening, when Maddie was just 26 hours old. We were anxious to get out of there!
She wasn't a fan of the carseat at first but fell asleep immediately.
It was pouring outside the entire day that day, so we had to hurry and bundle her into the car. She slept the whole way home. And last but not least, Meagan and Grace stopped by later that evening after taking Reagan to see Peter Pan so Grace could meet her newest cousin. Grace even wrote Maddie the cutest poem all by herself. My girls are so lucky to have such a sweet cousin to look up to!
All in all, it was a near-perfect delivery and we were overjoyed (and exhausted) to have little Madelyn join our family!


































No comments:
Post a Comment