Sunday, September 10, 2017

Alaskan Cruise Part 2 (Skagway)

The next morning we were up bright and early for our biggest excursion.

 Personal all-day van tour in Skagway! We docked in Alaska but entered Canada shortly after we started driving and we saw the most incredible views I have ever seen. Since we had lots of kids in our group, our driver had a fun scavenger hunt prepared for them with prizes at each stop. They loved it and it really kept them engaged. Our first stop was this beautiful little waterfall. Lance and the kids drank from it and said it was delicious. 


Right after we crossed into Canada, we pulled over so we could take this! 

Both countries' customs offices were offset from the actual border on their respective sides to be more accessible in the winter, so we could literally walk from one country to another. 

We visited SO. MANY. gorgeous lakes on the drive. The most beautiful views I have ever seen in my life. 




Yoga at the lake! (Part of the scavenger hunt.)




By far, Emerald Lake (near the end of the drive) took the cake. I have never seen anything like it, and my pictures certainly don't do it justice. 



A bear! We saw a black bear on the side of the road and pulled over. Pretty cool!


Yukon suspension bridge across a stunning river!






Poor Madelyn only got one 15 minute nap the whole day because of frequent stops. She was exhausted!

Dog sled camp! This was probably the kids favorite stop. They could have cuddled those adorable little puppies all day! We were actually supposed to go on a dog sled cart ride too but it was too hot for the dogs! I was sweating a little at this stop. That's Alaska for you. 




Maddie was very warm and cold with them. First she couldn't wait to get in. 

Then she was terrified out of her mind.

Then she was like "oh hey I guess this is pretty cool".

After which she moved quickly through cautiously approaching to chasing.


And then she learned about the tire swing and was done with dogs. 

I love these pictures because you can't really see Maddie on Lance's lap and it looks like Lance is just playing on the tire swing with his dad :). 

Picnic lunch by another beautiful lake in Canada. 

A mini-desert in the middle of Canada! Pretty crazy! The kids loved playing in the sand but Maddie and I say that one out. 

Panning for gold! They all found some that the guide provided for us. 


Daryn was more interested in rock throwing, which is pretty fun too. 

Lots of beautiful glacier views on the drive. 

One last stop at a quiet river spot. 


As we were walking back to the car I looked back and realized Maddie had basically given up- walking up the hill must have seemed insurmountable and she was ready for us to leave her behind.
Don't worry, we did not.

Back in Skagway, we had a couple hours left before we had to board, so we got some ice cream and did some souvenir shopping. 

I considered taking these bad boys home, but they were a little out of my price range. 

This day was also Brent and Joy's anniversary. We are so grateful to them for taking us all on this unforgettable trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment