Sunday, November 11, 2018

Halloween

We had such fun with the kids costumes this year. I felt kind of bad for always making them do group costumes, so I told them back in August they could each be whatever they wanted. Daryn immediately said "I want to be Moana!" and Reagan followed with "I want to be Te Fiti!" (the island goddess from Moana. Ok, whatever you say. They quickly assigned the roles of Pua the pig and Hei Hei the chicken to a willing Maddie and an indifferent Blade, respectively. Naturally, they wanted Lance to be Maui and me to be the grandmother, but they were met with more resistance on that front.

Our ward didn't have a trunk or treat this year, but we went all out for the neighborhood party a couple weeks before Halloween. (Don't ask me how long I spent working on Blade's feather collar.)






The evening started out nice but got very chilly and windy quickly.

The kids bundled up and didn't seem to mind too much.


Maddie got the hang of chair-or-treating quickly and was a huge fan.

We were at Disneyland the next week, and fit in a few more Halloween activities after we got home.

Thursday: Pumpkin rice krispy treats with the Activity Day girls.

Friday: Layton City Halloween Bash. Lots of candy and fun games, and even face painting. All for free!



  

Saturday: Hay ride to the pumpkin patch!


And carving our pumpkins later that day. Reagan did hers 100% on her own and I was impressed.


On the left, Daryn's and Maddie's (that Lance carved). Then mine, Blade's (a blade), and Reagan's on the far right.

Later that night, Lance and Reagan got to go to a ceili (Irish dance) put on by her dance teacher. She had a great time.

On Monday there was no school and we made Halloween sugar cookies.

And Tuesday was Mustache week at gymnastics (since you can't really do gymnastics in costumes).

Maddie wouldn't wear hers, but Blade was happy to do it for her.
Right after I took these pictures, he ripped it off his face, stuffed it in his mouth, and immediately swallowed it. I was shocked and wondering how that just happened, and freaking out a little bit. Two minutes later, he threw the whole thing up in my hand. Gross but I was grateful.

Wednesday morning was Halloween, and Blade had an appointment first thing to get his helmet. Good thing he looked so darn cute!

After school it was lots and lots of hairspray.

After couple hours of crazy and stuffing some food in our mouths, they were picture perfect and ready to go!


Cutest Moana crew ever!

We're off!


Maddie was a little apprehensive at first but got the hang of it after about 2 houses and nothing slowed her down.


The girls had a great time. Daryn got cold and had to go home first with Lance (which left us with some costume explaining to do at every door) and then Maddie. Blade and Reagan were hardcore and would have kept going much later if I hadn't finally called it around 8. We had such a fun night together! And as every year, I'm just glad it's over...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sooo impressed..... I will ask you to craft my kids' costumes next week! the hei hei! tefiti! moana! the pig! all of it!! the only thing that could have made it better was you as a the grandmother with a big sting ray tattoo......

    ReplyDelete