Sunday, June 25, 2017

Trek

Lance and I had the opportunity to go on the stake pioneer reenactment this year. AKA Trek! We got a be a Ma and Pa, which means we were in charge of a "family" of 10 teenagers ages 14-17 for 3.5 days. We were feeling a little trepidation about the whole thing beforehand but it turned out to be the most incredible experience. Life-changing!

The morning of on the way to the church. All fresh and clean!

We had to fit all our possessions in 5 gallon buckets and a garbage back to sleeping stuff and load it all onto this handcart and pull it for 28 miles. No easy feat! Luckily we had some strong teenagers for the bulk of it. 

Luck was on our side and we had the most perfect weather imaginable. Not too hot during the day at all. It did get pretty chilly at night. Plus everything was so green from all the rain recently. Stunning views!

The first day was a grueling 10 miles. We were at the front of the whole stake for a good portion of the day.


 We were dead tired when we got to camp. We set up our tents, shoveled in our food and basically crashed. 


Fun games and family bonding on the second day (4 easy miles)

And a dance on the evening of the second day! Loved getting my two-step on with this handsome dude. 

Our sweet family flag, dyed with gatorade packets. The Brunson Burners!

The third day was a very special day. They had a part called the youth pull. Starting up the steepest, mile long hill, they pulled off us from the cart, and then one by one pulled off our strongest youth. It was to simulate us dying; we could walk by the cart but couldn't talk or help push. It was extremely difficult for all of us- those of us who wanted to helped but couldn't and had to watch the others struggle, and the those 4 youth who were left by the top of the hill. I have never been so proud of anyone as I was watching "my" teenagers get that cart up the hill. Lance and I felt that we got a small glimpse of how the Savior feels watching us struggle. It was also impressive to see the boys that were pulled off do everything they could to help, including taking the backpacks off those pulling and taking the heavy water jug off the back and carrying it up the hill. It was a very spiritual experience. 

This picture was taken right after we reached the top- missing two of the kids that were a little further off. Such great kids. We had the best family that I could have imagined. 

Trina and I were almost totally matchies that day!

I was totally caught off guard when I found out our oldest boy, Colter,  had a man bun- he wore hats the whole time before that! Hilarious. If anyone can pull it off, he can. 


 Some of our other great kids! Vicky and Oliver (real-life siblings) and Raegan and Jackie. 

The last day was another 4 pretty easy miles back to the parking lot.

Last family picture!


Getting ready to head out.


Feeling good and enjoying the vistas!

We did have several water crossings of various sizes throughout the trip. It was fun watching the boys/men try to get the carts across without getting wet! Sometimes they were successful, sometimes they were not.

Lance and I are so grateful we were able to have this experience. It really strengthened our testimonies and our relationship with each other. I was also so impressed with the strength of our youth. They are going to do great things!

1 comment: